City of Irvine Environmental programs
The City of Irvine has and continues to endorse and adopt environmental policies and sustainable measures to conserve resources and protect the environment. To increase awareness and residential participation with the City’s various environmental programs, SGA was tasked to develop and implement public education and community engagement campaigns for issues such as recycling, waste reduction, pollution prevention, food donations, energy conservation, and proper household hazardous waste disposal.
SGA utilized Community-Based Social Marketing (CBSM) to develop a strong understanding of the barriers and motivators of the City’s target audiences and then incorporate this knowledge into the materials we produce. To achieve results, we followed these guidelines:
- Develop creative and engaging materials
- Educate and excite target audiences around environmental and city initiatives
- Attract attention to the message
- Present the message(s) so it can be easily read and understood
- Make a deep enough impression so that the audience acts
- Result in sustainable reductions in waste, pollution, and energy usage
SGA has developed effective outreach campaigns to address the specific barriers and motivators of the target audience. As a result, the City has seen increase in awareness and participation with the City’s various environmental programs. These outreach campaigns followed the full arc of CBSM with a goal of creating lasting change around end-state behaviors identified as having the maximum impact.